Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Let's Talk About Rain's Comments




Now and then mistakes are made. Rain responded to a few statements that were sent to my blog. I stupidly passed them along and she didn't appreciate them. A "righty" had sent them to me - and Rain thought I was the author. I wasn't.  As you may have noticed I try to avoid comments about comments  etc. This time it called for an exception.

Rain said ". . . All that 'half subsidized' means  is those who take something from the government".

I didn't understand - but I would try another definition. Let us consider two elements. 

(1)  government purchases for public benefit

(2) government payment of  welfare for an individuals benefit.

When discussing welfare public benefit is usually not included. Only welfare for individuals . Apparently the United States spends close to $1 trillion dollars each year on welfare to fight poverty. We assume that is welfare for individuals. If so, since President Obama took office  welfare spending has increased over 40% and is now about $190 billion dollars per year.

Despite this increase, over 48 million Americans continue to live in poverty. That number hasn't changed much over the last 50 years. We must be doing something wrong. 

Rain says: HALF SUBSIDIZED includes . . . " 
         all government workers 
          all soldiers 
          all retired people 
          all handicapped 
          all farmers with crop subsidies 
          all those in the oil industry who get benefits
          and etc.    
I've very little good to say about the Republicans (or Democrats) of today. At the same time I know several elected or appointed people belonging each party. Most seem to be college graduates or at least have some college background, and most tend to be intelligent and generally extraordinary people. My conclusion is that it is our  system that is broken - not our people.

". . . I CLEARLY DON'T THINK YOU KNOW ANY POOR AND HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEIR LIVES ARE LIKE."   Rain, I know you get frustrated with all of this political turmoil, but you really went to far with this. It's not in character for you.  I'm not going to attempt a refutation.  It's enough to simply affirm my exposure living for nearly five years in Tripoli and Benghazi, Libya, and mixing generally with the hungry and miserable poor.. 

That's enough. I've been poor. Lived with the poor. Seen poverty first hand in many parts of the world. And I know what it means to be poor. 

Lastly, you are entirely within your rights to insinuate that ALL REPUBLICANS ARE NUTS, even when you know this isn't true.


And it is a fact that, compared to Republicans, Democrats prefer to think that national government can manage and spend our taxed money more efficiently and effectively than a free market tempered by supply and demand. In the most general way, Republicans believe they are wrong. Neither party is overloaded with idiots.


Dixon

No comments:

Post a Comment