- The initials refer to Islamic State of Iraq and Syria.
- ISIS threatens Israel, Yazidis, moderate Sunni and Shia Muslims, Kurds, Christians and Jews.
- It uses particularly horrific terrorist methods.
- ISIS is a jihadist group founded in Iraq and Syria.
- absolutely controls Gaza.
- now control a territory as large as a nation state including northern Syria and northern Iraq.
- Membership is estimated at more than 35,000
- The ISIS ambition is to create an Islamic Caliphate.
- founded by Osama ben Laden
- established in Afghanistan/Pakistan about 1988
- USA & Saudi Arabia spent millions on Afghan rebel arms
- most of that money helped start al-Quaeda
- also known as al-Quaeda in Iraq or AQI.
- Once had a membership estimated less than 10,000
- now much smaller membership
- pre-ceded ISIS and
- now a sub-group allied with ISIS
- Tends to attack Western and Arab governments.
- responsible for 9-11 3,000 deaths
- is a larger and older terrorist group
- linked to Muslim Brotherhood.
- now a sub-group within ISIS
- possible membership of 20,000+
- include the former PLO organization
- and a long history of attacking Israel.
- rockets across Israeli border
- suicide bombers, package bombs
- often us children and elderly shields
- attacks come usually from the south.
- continues to threaten Israel from the north.
- founded in Lebanon about 1982
- founded in Egypt about 1928
- preceded and related to Hamas